DATE: January 2019
ACTIVITY: Winter Mountain Training
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: 3/5
COST: 350 €
PURCHASE TICKET: https://goo.gl/forms/2rnYrDS8rUelXEv83
On 9 January 2019 the new section of the Mountaineering Training School begins.
The program includes 10 days of practical and theoretical training divided into five days (not consecutively) and held in some of the most beautiful mountains of our country.
Vardousia, Dirfis, Parnassos, Taygetos and Tymfristos are the five mountains where the training will take place.
No previous mountaineering experience is required to attend the school. During the training the participants will acquire all the necessary knowledge and skills required for the safe and effective movement in the mountain, both in the dry and snowy fields, while experiencing unforgettable moments of action, adventure, but also teamwork and fellowship in the mountainous nature.
Taking part in the excursions of the mountaineering school is a unique experience.
Stunning peaks, lush forests, springs with crystal waters, alpine meadows and amazing slopes create a magical world! Mountaineering is an activity which is a way and attitude of life, for those who have already discovered it, as it manages to harmoniously combine physical exercise with life in nature and mental renewal. Mountaineers in small groups or larger groups move to the mountain through paths, gorges, forests, cuts, steep or snowy slopes to climb the peaks. In our days, mountaineering is carried out in many ways, from the simplest ones, such as mountain hiking, to more complex ones such as rock and ice climbing, alpinism and missions to isolated mountains of high altitude.
The main subject of the training at the mountaineering training school for beginners are mountain hiking techniques required to climb the tops of most of the Greek mountains in a snow-free field, as well as snow-covered slopes or slopes up to 45 degrees, from their classic winter or summer routes. Rock climbing is examined in the corresponding rock climbing schools, while alpinism and winter climbing (slopes above 45 °) are examined at the middle-class climbing school. Besides the basic training program, within the framework of the mountaineering school, special interest groups such as the group of campers who are oriented to outdoor winter living, the high mountain group oriented to participate in high altitude missions abroad and the winter climbing and rescue team.
MOUNTAINEERING PROGRAM 2019
09/01/19 Wednesday 6-9pm, dating meeting, theoretical lesson
19-20 / 01/19 Velouchi, departure Saturday 7am – return Sunday 10pm
02-03 / 02/19 Dirfis, departure Saturday 7am – return Sunday 10pm
16-17 / 02/19 Taygetos, departure Saturday 7am – return Sunday 10pm
02-03 / 03/19 Parnassos, departure Saturday 7am – return Sunday 10pm
16-17 / 03/19 Vardousia, departure Saturday 7am – return Sunday 10pm
Mountaineering equipment (selection, use, maintenance)
Movement in the snow
Use of crampons – ice axe
Surviving in the winter
Manufacture of ice caves – snow holes
Forecast of avalanches
History of mountaineeringEcology
Principles of physiology
Use of GPS
ARVA et al.
The education will be provided by trainers who are Mountain Drivers of HFMC, with a high level of technical training.
Previous experience is NOT required for your participation in the mountaineering school, but only an average physical condition and love for nature and sport. On Saturday, the hiking to the shelter lasts for 2-3 hours, and on Sunday (usually ascending to the tops) ranges from 3 to 5 hours.
Certification of HFMC
The school is organized by approved mountaineering clubs and is officially recognized by the Hellenic Federation of Mountaineering and Climbing. ECHO grants a certificate of successful participation to graduates, which gives them the right to continue their training at the School of Ascension Leaders and Middle Level Mountaineering. For the school of Ascension Leaders, 2 years of mountaineering activity are required, while the Middle Level Climbing School requires successful graduation from the Middle Level Climbing School, as well as mountaineering-climbing activity defined in the HFMC regulations.
During the training the school provides each participant with modern high quality mountaineering equipment that includes: 1 ice axe, 1 pair of crampons, fast or semi-fast together with snow-strapping pads and carry case, 1 harness (mountaineering harness) 1-2 materials for snow security and 1 rope 50-60m (per 3-4 people). Also, they will be available 8 ARVA transceivers, 12 avalanche probes and 6 snow shovels for avalanche rescue exercises, as well as 2 GPS devices, 10 flags with a perforator and 20 compasses for orientation exercises.
The access to the mountains will be held by mountain bus, which departs from the Field of Areos (Mavromateon & Alexandras) on Saturday morning (07.00am) and returns to the same spot on Sunday (9-10pm). There is the possibility to board at 7:30 pm from Kaliftaki Bridge (exit to the National Road to Olympic Village) or from “Goodys” on the Athens Avenue in Chaidari (when we head to the Peloponnese). The cost of the bus is 40 € for each weekend and is paid in the bus on each trip separately.
Mountain bus travel is mandatory. In the bus, the program is updated by the trainers of the school and a sense of fellowship can be created. Also, transportation by the mountain bus is also required for participants’ safety reasons, such as fatigue (especially in the return from the mountains), snowy roads, etc. This rule exempts participants living in provincial cities and must necessarily move from & to the mountains with their own vehicles. These participants are NOT burdened with the cost of traveling by the bus.
We will stay in mountain shelters or (optionally) in tents. The cost of overnight stays in the shelters is 10-12 €, while the half price of the shelter is 5 €. The half price concerns those who stay in tents or ice caves but use the shelter (for dinner, theoretical lessons, etc.).
During mountain hikes, you should have high nutritional and calorie foods (nuts, cheese and salami sandwiches, raisins, dates, biscuits, etc.) that do not have a lot of weight and are easily transported in the backpack (we avoid the cans because of the weight of the package). On Saturday night you can have the menu of the shelter, which usually includes pasta with meat as well as traditional bean soup. Also make sure you have something for your Sunday breakfast (e.g. croissant). On the return from the mountain in the afternoon of Sunday, we will stop for dinner at local taverns.
Price: 350 €
– organizing and conducting the training
– practical & theoretical training
– trainers’ fees
– technical equipment (crampons, ice axes, ropes, etc.)
– visual means (video projector, avalanche probes, GPS devices, ARVA etc.)
– technical notes (in digital form)
– insurance coverage
– certification of the Hellenic Federation of Mountaineering Climbing
– registration in a HFMC mountaineering club (if you are not already a member of a club)
– travel expenses with the school bus (€ 40 per weekend)
– overnight stays in the shelters (€ 10-12) or half-price (€ 5) for campers
– diet (breakfast in the shelters 5-8 €, dinner in the shelters 8-15 €, snacks 5-10 €)
– personal mountaineering equipment (boots, backpack, etc.)
– VAT 24% (mountaineering clubs are not subject to VAT)
The entire registration process is done online by following the simple steps below:
- Fill in the online registration form at the bottom of this page.
- Payment of participation.
- Scan or photograph with your mobile phone the proofs for the HFMC (original ID, medical certificate * & color photo) and send them as attachments in pdf or jpg to the school’s email email@example.com
- The medical certificate must have been issued within the last six months from the beginning of the school by a public hospital or a doctor. For your convenience, you can visit our partner, Cardiologist: Mr. Chlapoutakis Georgios, 23 Maroussi, Mitropoleos, tel. 210-8021830. 6937369786. Hours: Daily 10.00-13.00 & 17.00-21.00pm, visit fee: 30 €.
Terms of participation
- For reasons of safety, it is mandatory to travel from & to the mountains by the bus (Mountain Bus). This term excludes residents in the province who are necessarily moving their own cars.
- The person in charge of the training reserves the right to interrupt the training of a participant who does not comply with the instructions of the trainers, or at his discretion, his or her behavior may jeopardize the life of himself or others.
- The program depends on the prevailing weather conditions and may be modified at the discretion of the school principal if this is necessary for the safety of the participants and the smooth running of the faculty.
- If a trainee is unable to attend the last day of the school, he / she is obliged to return the equipment borrowed from the school (or send it by courier) on his / her own care within 10 days.
- The cost of attending the school is 350 € and is paid in advance before the start of the courses, or in two (2) equal installments (one as a prepayment before the start and a repayment during the course).
Equipment provided by the company:
✓ Ice axe (1)
✓ Crampons (1 pair)
✓ Snow Clippers for the crampons (1 pair)
✓ Transport case for the crampons (1)
✓ Aluminum grafts (1-2) (snow-insulating materials)
✓ Dynamic rope 50-60m (1 per 3-4 people)
✓ Mountaineering safety harness (1)
Obligatory equipment * for participants.
✓ Cord 5m and 7mm cross section (1)
✓ Cord 170cm (1)
✓ Static sling 170cm (1)
✓ Static sling 60cm sewn (1)
✓ Type D safety carabiner (1)
✓ HMS Safety Carabiner (1)
✓ Simple Carabiner (1)
* The above set of materials can be purchased either from mountaineering stores or can be ordered directly from the school at a price of 50 € and can be received in the bus on the first excursion, by sending firstname.lastname@example.org email on the subject of “mountaineering training equipment”.
The Orientation lesson starts from the first day and takes place throughout the training. For this reason you will have to buy the five (5) maps for the five mountains that we will visit (Tymfristos, Dirfis, Taygetos, Parnassos, Vardoussa). Each map costs 8 € and you can buy them in bookstores or order them directly from the school individually (8 € per map), or the whole set of five (5) maps at a price of 40 €, and receive them in the bus on the first excursion, by sending an email to email@example.com on the subject of “ordering mountain maps for the mountain climbing training”.
Recommended personal equipment
✓ Waterproof boots (rigid or semi-rigid)
✓ Socks for Winter Mountain (2 pairs)
✓ Thermal underwear (1 pair)
✓ Fleece jacket (polartec)
✓ Waterproof-windproof jacket & trousers
✓ Waterproof gloves (2 pairs)
✓ Cap and / or Balaklava (full-face cap)
For general use
✓ Ghettos (1 pair)
✓ Backpack 45-70lt
✓ Batons (for better support)
✓ Headlamp (+ spare batteries)
✓ 1 to 1,5lt flask and / or 0,5-1lt thermos (for hot beverages)
✓ Aluminum blanket
✓ Ski mask
✓ Compass (Sylva type)
✓ Maps (Αnavasi publishing house)
✓ Pocket knife (lightweight)
✓ Lighter & match
✓ Raisins 250gr (emergency food)
✓ Sleeping bag & substrates (optional)
✓ Tent (only for the campers)
✓ Elastic bandage 10-12cm
✓ Painkillers (depon)
✓ Gauze 15x30cm (3-4 pieces)
✓ Sunscreen & lipstick
✓ Personal medicines
For any additional information about the program, https://goo.gl/forms/2rnYrDS8rUelXEv83
call 211.11.10795 or 6978161872 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org